Each child must be enrolled at a registered school by the time they turn six. Once enrolled, students must attend regularly. If the student would benefit from a staggered transition to school, a transition plan can be agreed between the child’s parents, the principal, and the Ministry of Education.
Because Ponsonby Primary has an enrolment scheme, the student’s usual place of residence must be in the Ponsonby Primary school zone, unless the student has been offered a place through an out-of-zone ballot.
Any child is entitled to be enrolled unless they have been indefinitely suspended from another school. In this case, the board of trustees will meet and consider the individual case, and either accept or decline the enrolment.
If a parent wishes to enrol a child with physical disabilities, the school may need to apply for appropriate resources from the Ministry of Education to support the child.
When the student is enrolled, their relevant details are recorded into the Ministry’s ENROL database.
The following children will be accepted as of right.
Children living within the designated geographic boundaries of the school. To view these streets and a map please click here.
(Students living in-zone are asked to pre-enrol (when your child turns 4 is a great time), to assist the school in planning for any out of zone placements.)
More information on how to enrol as an in-zone student can be found here.
Out of Zone
Applications from out of zone students will be processed in the following order of priority.
- First priority must be given to students who have been accepted for enrolment in the following special programme(s) run by the school and approved by the Secretary for Education*. Please note this school does not have any of these programmes.
- Second priority must be given to applicants who are siblings of current students.
- Third priority must be given to applicants who are siblings of former students.
- Fourth priority must be given to any applicant who is a child of a former student of the school.
- Fifth priority must be given to any applicant who is either a child of an employee of the board of the school or a child of a member of the board of the school.
- Sixth priority must be given to all other applicants.
More information on how to enrol as an out of zone student can be found here.